History of AUC

The Atlanta University Center (AUC) neighborhood boundaries are defined by MLK Jr Drive on the north; Northside rive on the east; Interstate 20 on the south; and Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard on the west. The area is predominantly occupied by the largest continuous consortium of African Americans in higher education in the United States.

The Atlanta University Center (AUC) was created in April 1929, when John Hope, then president of both Morehouse College and Atlanta University saw the potential gains from such a consortium.

John Hope was a famed educator and civil rights activist who became the first African-American president of Morehouse College.

The former Atlanta University, Spelman College, and Morehouse College signed the affiliation agreement and became the original members of the AUC. Clark College and Morris Brown College joined in 1957, followed by the interdenominational Theological Center (ITC) in 1959.  Morehouse School of Medicine joined the AUC in 1983. Morris Brown ended its affiliation when the school lost its accreditation in 2002. At present four institutions belong to the AUC consortium and consists of approximately 7,500 students.